All contact lists within the Gateway eNewsletter reside in one location: List Management. From this area, you can search all of your lists, merge lists, update your count of good emails, rename lists, download lists, and archive lists.
Log into the Gateway eNewsletter. Select Lists from the Top Navigation Menu.
Viewing Your Lists
You will see all of your existing lists, the list type, the date the list was created, and a summary of good emails and total emails.
- Sort by any of the columns by clicking on the arrows next to the column header.
- Search by List Name by typing the name in the “List Name” column header.
- Search by List Type by selecting the appropriate list type from the column header dropdown menu.
- Update your count of good emails and total emails for a list by clicking the Refresh icon on the right.
Staff Imported Lists and Static Lists are the only list types that can be merged.
- To merge lists, check the checkboxes in the “Merge” columns of the appropriate rows.
- Click Merge Selected.
- This will display the Lists to Merge at the top of the screen.
NOTE: When you merge lists, the original lists will be maintained.
- Type the New List Name in the empty field and click Merge Lists.
Hover over the list to see several options. Click Details. Details will allow you to search the selected list for contacts.
Hover over the list to see several options. Click Rename. Type in a new name for the list. Click Submit.
Hover over the list to see several options. Click Download. You will be able to download the list in a CSV file.
- Click Show Preferences.
- Select the contact information you’re exporting and set your download settings. Make sure the “Delimiters” are set to Comma and the “Qualifiers” are set to Double Quotes.
- Click Download.
- You will receive an email when your download is ready. (Please allow our system about 15-30 minutes to compile the list.)
- When your download is ready, log back into the Constituent Gateway eNewsletter and go to the Top Navigation Actions in the upper right corner. You will see an orange notification with a number of downloads available below the User icon. Click the icon and select Downloads. Click the name of your list to open it.
- Select Open with to view your list in Excel, and save the file to your computer.
Hover over the list to see several options. Click Archive. If you are sure you want to archive this list, click OK. The list will no longer display as an active list when adding recipients to a mailing. It will still be in the Constituent Gateway eNewsletter, and you can view it at any time by checking the “View Archived” checkbox. You also have the option to restore it to an active list.
Managing Different List Types
Depending upon the list type, your will have different options. For example, you are unable to merge Public Attribute lists, but Public Attribute lists are dynamic, meaning contacts are automatically added to these lists when they complete certain activities. You can merge Staff Imported lists, but these are static lists. (See the following page for a complete breakdown of each list type.)
NOTE: For more information about creating lists, see the following articles: How do I create a blank list?, How do I create a Criteria List?, and How can I use Custom Attributes to create targeted mailing lists?
Staff Imported—Support staff has imported this list of contacts.
Static Lists—These are Blank Lists created by the user. A Blank List starts out with no contacts, but contacts can be added to the list once it’s created.
User Created—This is a Criteria List created by the user. It will be updated automatically as new contacts are added to the system.
Voter File List—This list is created by the user through cVault, a Voter File Selection tool. (This list type is only available to clients who have cVault.)
Pre-mailing List—This list contains contacts that were added to a mailing prior to its distribution.
Post-mailing List—This list contains contacts that were added to a mailing after distribution when a newsletter is resent to specific contacts
Public Attributes—These lists correspond with custom attributes created within “Account Setup.” These lists are dynamic and update automatically based on contacts’ activities with e-newsletters. Since this is a “Public Attribute,” the public will be able to see this list.
Private Attributes—These lists are similar to Public Attributes, but since they are “Private Attributes,” they are not visible to the public.
CRM List—This is a list that has been exported from the CRM into the eNewsletter Gateway. (This list type is only available to clients who have the Gateway CRM.)
All Contacts— This is a default list that automatically contains every contact in the system.
All Subscribers—This list contains all contacts who have opted into your mailing.
All Viewers—This list contains all contacts who have interacted with a mailing.
499 List—This is a list created by the user from a source list already in the Gateway eNewsletter system. It contains a random list of 499 contacts from the source list.
Hard-Bounce Suppression List—This list contains all bad emails in the system; each mailing, all recipient lists are automatically scrubbed against it.
Suppression List—These are lists that the Support staff has imported that will automatically be suppressed along with the Hard-Bounce Suppression List whenever a new mailing goes out.
Website Signup—This list automatically captures all contacts who signed up to receive your e-newsletter via the website. (This list type will only have contacts listed for clients who have the Gateway Website Publishing System.)