A new content block will be added to your newsletter. You can click and drag it to wherever you want within the template. Hovering over the content block will show you several options. You can click theEditbutton, or you can double-click in the content area to open up an editor.
Although this is a WYSIWYG editor, there is a recommended order of operations to achieve proper formatting: (1) Add plain unformatted text, (2) Add images (use tables for placement and spacing if necessary), (3) and format text (including hyperlinks).
NOTE: To work with the HTML code instead of the WYSIWYG editor, click theSourcebutton in the upper left-hand corner.
You can type directly into the editor, but many prefer to compose their text in another program such as Word prior to adding it to the newsletter. To ensure you are pasting plain text into the editor to avoid formatting carrying over from other programs, use thePaste from WordorPaste as Plain Texticons in the toolbar.
Adding Tables and Images
If you plan to include an image, you will need to either upload the image to the server or already have the image hosted on your website. You can also use tables to set up your desired layout. See our article onadding photos with captions to your mailing.
Formatting Text and Adding Hyperlinks
The last step for creating and editing basic content is formatting your text.
- Formatting is similar to formatting in most word processing software. Highlight the text you want to change, and select the style. You have dropdown menus below the toolbar with style, format, font, and size options, as well as icons for bold, italicize, underline, and strike through. You can also change the alignment of your text.
- To create a hyperlink, you’ll highlight the desired text, and click thehyperlinkicon.
- When the “Link” window appears, type in the URL.
- If you are linking to a different website, it’s a good idea to set the target to open up in a new window so that when theviewer closes that content, he/she will still see your website.
- >When you’ve finished creating your new content, clickSave.
Your content is automatically added to the newsletter template.
If you’d like to reuse your content in future mailings, select theReuseicon, give your content a name, and clickSave.
When you’re ready to use the content again, instead of selectingCreateto create new content, you’ll selectAdd,and check “My Content” to find content you’ve created and saved, select the content from the list, and clickAddto add the saved content to your mailing.